When allegations of illegal or unethical conduct arise, it is important to determine the veracity of any allegations and, to the extent there is truth in the allegations, what went wrong and what improvements are necessary to prevent recurrence.
We assist clients both in conducting internal investigations following allegations of improper conduct and in respect of external investigations conducted by authorities or other third parties. We also advise clients on how to conduct their own internal investigations in order to ensure they protect any legal privilege that arises and do not fall foul of data protection or employment laws. Recent experience includes:
- International media company – advising on an investigation following a raid by the authorities concerning allegations of overseas corruption and advising on settlement with the authorities and an international development bank.
- International media company - advising on an internal investigation into anonymous allegations of corruption within a foreign subsidiary.
- Global TMT company – advising in connection with a highly complex, multijurisdictional internal investigation following allegations of improper conduct (bribery, fraud and conflicts of interest) committed by employees and other secondees to a joint venture.
- International commercial finance company - conducting an assessment of the causes of historical accounting errors relating to the accounting treatment of payments and receivables arising from intra-group factoring agreements.
- International contractor - advising in relation to investigations by several development banks and OLAF (EU Anti-Fraud Unit) in connection with a construction project funded with EU funds.